If you think that a career in Beauty Therapy doesn’t get you anywhere, then you’re very WRONG!
In Australia, the field of Beauty Therapy can lead to thriving career opportunities. As a profession, beauty therapy requires minimum training and qualifications, yet is extremely rewarding. Let’s take a look at how to get your hands on this amazing career.
SHOULD I BECOME A BEAUTY THERAPIST??
A career in the field of beauty therapy often involves helping others look and feel good. Aside from maintaining the proper skills and qualifications, to be a successful beauty therapist, it is beneficial to possess the following characteristics:
- shows TLC (tender loving care) to clients: a friendly and caring demeanour
- genuine interest in people
- a keen eye for details and creativity
- good stamina: as there will be times that you will be working in extended hours and mostly in standing position
- sensitive to clients’ needs
EDUCATION AND TRAINING
Whether you want to work in a salon, spa, or behind a beauty counter in Australia, you to have a strong education foundation. It is important that you know how to provide a safe, knowledgeable, and professional service.
Schools around the country offer relevant certifications, diplomas and even bachelor degrees. You can also select specialisations to advance your skills.
Statistics show that 47.1% of the Beauty Therapists in Australia hold an Advanced Diploma or Diploma. While 20% to 27.5% have Certificate III or Certificate IV up their sleeves.
Here at the Australian Institute of Creative Design, we offer Certificate II & III, Diploma, and short courses that enable graduates to be competent in the field. Additionally, we are ITEC approved. This means that our curriculum meets the ITEC standards that make our students qualified internationally.
TAILOR YOUR SKILL SET
Make sure that you set yourself apart from the pack and get the best training from reputable schools. There are a lot of courses to choose from:
- Diploma of Beauty Therapy – This course offers students intensive training in the beauty & spa industry to give them the skills to work in these exciting and rapidly expanding industries.
- Certificate III in Beauty Services – Learn the art of make-up, eyelash extension application and beauty skills to perform waxing, manicures & pedicures, and eyelash & eyebrow tinting and shaping. Learn basic beauty treatment skills necessary to work in a beauty salon, retail make-up counter or as a freelancer!
- Certificate II in Retail Cosmetics – This course is ideal for students with no prior experience in the make-up industry and will prepare you for taking your first steps towards working in this exciting industry, either at a make-up counter in a retail store, as a sales representative for a cosmetics company, or as an assistant in a beauty salon.
There are also specialized short courses and workshops that you can add to your resume:
You have a MULTITUDE OF OPTIONS as a professional Beauty Therapist:
- Beauty and hairdressing salons
- Spa Manager/Owner
- Massage Therapist including aromatherapy massage
- Nail Technician
- Make-up Artist
- Opportunities to work on cruise ships
- Working at health retreats
If you have a niche in sales, marketing, or product development, there are many opportunities with global cosmetic and skincare brands:
- Product Demonstrator
- Product Sales & Marketing Assitant or Manager
- Laboratory assistants
If you have a passion for sharing your knowledge, you can find yourself teaching in reputable beauty schools like the Australian Institute of Creative Design.
THE REAL WORLD
In Australia, the average annual income for a beauty therapist is around $41,000.
In addition, the Australian Government Department of Employment Projections projected the employment growth of beauty therapy at 28.60% by 2022. While its projected employment level by 2022 is 45.5%.
What is more exciting for us in Queensland is according to joboutlook.gov.au, we are one of the top regions for Beauty Therapist!
We don’t know about you, but that’s great news!
READY NOW TO TAKE THE GREAT BIG LEAP TOWARDS AN AMAZING FUTURE?
We, at the Australian Institute of Creative Design, is the best place to start kickstart your career. We provide our students with the ability to gain valuable insights from trainers with real industry experience and benefit from their experiences, knowledge, and industry contacts.
Check our website now or visit the College for a tour to find out more information about any of our exciting courses and career pathways.
Lastly, you can take our free career quiz to determine what course best suited to your interest and personality. It may not be as reliable as going to our career counsellors, but it can give you a general indication of where your aptitudes lie.